We are working in harmony with the environment to solve various social issues through the following initiatives.
- Cap-to-Cap Initiatives
- We are conducting research and development to enable recycling of used caps, in order to fulfill our responsibility as a manufacturer producing approximately 24 billion plastic caps annually. In addition, we have established a consortium with Asahi Group Japan, Ltd. and Sojitz Pla-Net Corporation to achieve “Cap to Cap” horizontal recycling. We have begun to verify this technology in January 2023 as a joint effort.
- Participation in the “Vending Machine Recycling Box Foreign Material Reduction Project 2021”
- We will participate in the “Vending Machine Recycling Box Foreign Material Reduction Project 2021,” a cross-industry collaboration undertaken by the Japan Soft Drink Association, and conduct a demonstration experiment using a recycling box with new functions.We will promote the sorting and collection of not only PET bottles but also caps and labels to achieve carbon neutrality.（https://www.ncc-caps.co.jp/english/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2022/07/1657694755.pdf）
- Beginning of efforts to recycle plastic logistics materials (pallets)
- With the aim of contributing to a recycling-oriented society and reducing the amount of plastic used, we have launched an initiative with our partners to establish a recycling cycle for plastic logistics materials (pallets) used to store and transport products.The recycled pallets will be produced using plastic waste from Nippon Closures’ manufacturing plants and recycled materials processed from damaged or deteriorated pallets.(100% recycled material use, including at least 50% recycled material from Nippon Closures) We have also begun to explore with our partners the possibility of producing not only recycled pallets but also other upcycled products using plastic waste generated by our company.We will continue to work toward the realization of a sustainable society.
- New beverage PET bottle caps that contribute to CO2 reduction
- In April 2020, as part of our efforts to reduce environmental impact, we added caps for beverage PET bottles containing 30% biomass to our product lineup.Our standard caps are aseptic and carbonated caps compatible with 28mm diameter PCO-1810 bottles.In the future, we plan to increase the biomass content and expand the use of these caps to other applications.
- SDG activities with companies and organizations in ASEAN countries
- We are engaging in dialogues and collaborations with companies and organizations in ASEAN countries, in order to play our part in resolving social issues around the world by leveraging our knowledge as a closure manufacturer. In October 2022, we launched a capacity-building program in collaboration with UNDP Indonesia to develop human resources to lead the circular economy. We will continue to explore business activities that contribute to the realization of a sustainable world in cooperation with various partners.
- Participation in the “White Logistics” Promotion Movement
- We endorse the purpose of the “White Logistics” promotion campaign promoted by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, and the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, and submitted a Declaration of Voluntary Action to the “White Logistics” Promotion Campaign Bureau on February 4, 2022.The “White Logistics” promotion campaign is a movement aimed at responding to the growing shortage of truck drivers, ensuring stable logistics necessary for people’s daily lives and industrial activities, and contributing to economic growth.We are committed to achieving sustainable logistics under the “Declaration of Voluntary Action” submitted by our company.
General Business Owner Action Plan based on the Act on Advancement of Measures to Support Raising Next-Generation Children
General Business Owner Action Plan based on the Act on Promotion of Women’s Participation and Advancement in the Workplace
In order to enable employees who are willing to work to fully demonstrate their individuality and abilities and to play an active role in their jobs, and to demonstrate that the company is an attractive place to work, we have established the following action plan.
Since our establishment in 1941, Nippon Closures has continued to produce closures with the high functionality demanded by the times in the beverage, food, and pharmaceutical industries.In recent years, we have also been promoting corporate activities with an emphasis on social responsibility, such as the development of environmentally friendly closures and compliant management. The Toyo Seikan Group’s Sustainability Report describes some of our activities based on our environmental policy.